Website Rowan College of South Jersey
The Part-Time Counseling Advisor provides advisement to a diverse student population at Rowan College of South Jersey’s Gloucester Campus. The advisor is responsible for advising new and continuing students on program majors and course selections, scholastic programs, academic planning, career opportunities, and the development of an academic plan. Working within a team environment, the advisor will collaborate with departments and resources on campus to support student success. Strong knowledge of RCSJ’s programs of study, policies and procedures is preferred.This is grant funded position, ending June 30, 2020, not to exceed 25 hours worked per week. This is a part-time, temporary position.
Hours worked will be during the day.
Examples of Duties:
- Provides direct advising to students through Express Advising service, assisting with the management of Queuing Software.
- Provides professional advisement support for all types of students on college policies and procedures that impact enrollment status, including: change of major, grade and administrative appeal processes, academic amnesty, petition to graduate, add/drop/withdrawal/audit, and assists students in proper submission or processing of student forms requiring advisor signature.
- Works collaboratively with academics and various departments on campus to support student retention and persistence toward graduation.
- Maintains proficiency in Banner to execute advisement related functions and corresponding documentation to provide students with support for following tasks: variances, pre-requisite overrides, academic amnesty, academic standing, probationary processes, degree audit evaluations, petition to graduate, etc.
- Stays abreast of curricular and programmatic changes and is able to interpret, analyze, and instruct students on computer-generated degree evaluations and other tools designed to plan degree completion.
- Maintains strong communications regarding program changes for all advising cohort(s), and works with academic areas to provide updated communications to students, supervisor(s), support staff, faculty and departments in the College.
- Knowledgeable of campus resources and departments, and appropriately refers students to campus resources for on/off campus transfer services, special services, counseling and wellness, career services, academic support and testing centers, student affairs, etc. acting as a liaison as appropriate.
- Maintains accurate and detailed advisement notes and completes all required paperwork and assigned tasks in an accurate and timely fashion and ensures the integrity and confidentiality of academic records, maintaining compliance with FERPA, and other college policies, state and federal regulations.
- Assists with college activities related to student success, retention and transfer.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree required or in progress, near completion
Strong oral and written communication skills with the ability to present to small and large groups
- Experience advising students in a community college or similar environment
- Ability to use current applicable hardware and software, including Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Power Point, appointment scheduling software
- Experience with higher education system administration software. Familiarity with Ellucian Banner preferred
- Demonstrated success in collaborating with all levels of the institution and the ability to work effectively with an ethnically and culturally diverse campus community. Strong commitment to a comprehensive community college philosophy and a student centered learning environment
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule with variable hours, including evenings and weekends and online coverage outside the typical work hours.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.