The clock continues to move and we find ourselves breezing through the month of March! Seems that the weather is slowly starting to lean toward spring as the sunshine lasts a little longer each day and the temperatures keep climbing. This time of the year I find is very busy for all of us in a variety of different ways. Folks working at our post-secondary institutions are not only busy working conversion events for their accepted applicants but they are also gearing up for spring travel (don’t forget to add the NJACAC Regional Fairs to your travels)! While our colleagues working in secondary school settings are working with their students to schedule their next school year and perhaps you are hosting a college fair this spring at your school. Our peers who are independent educational consultants are also busy at work with the students they work with, making recommendations on a college visit plan for the summer or even some test preparation.
This past month, the college admissions world was struck by the headlines of a college admissions scandal to which I released this statement to support the efforts of our national affiliate, NACAC. I know that many of us whether in person, via social media, or other mediums have been and continue to have conversations revolving around the college admissions scandal and it is only right that as professionals, we continue to have these conversations. In having these conversations, I have found myself asking myself these questions and I think these questions are ones we can all ask of ourselves as we engage in our daily work:
- What can I do today to improve the landscape of college admissions?
- How can I empower my team/colleagues to be better each day for the students we serve?
One of the strengths of NJACAC has always been collaboration. With that and with the discussions happening in the wake of the negative headlines, consider becoming further involved with our association through committee service and involvement. Take a look at our list of standing committees and sub-committees and join us!
Together, we can do so much for our profession and for our students. We can altogether, lead by example, so that we can continue to improve the landscape of college admissions. It cannot be done overnight and it cannot be done without collaboration.
As we enter the spring season, it means a few things:
- The Northern New Jersey National College Fair is only a few weeks away on April 3 at the Meadowlands Exposition Center in Secaucus, NJ.
- #NJACAC19 is getting closer and closer! Have you registered? Booked your room? Get all the details by clicking the link.
- Camp College will be going down July 30-31 at Caldwell University. You may have a student that could benefit from this program. Perhaps you would like to volunteer for Camp College as a Small Group Leader or Mock Interviewer. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to get all the details.
- Will you be welcoming new members to your team this summer? Or perhaps you are new to our profession and want to get the lowdown on so much that we do? Save the Date for our Basics program, Thursday, August 8 at Rider University.
So much going on! So much opportunity and promise out there for all of us. The items above are only the tip of the iceberg. Not sure where you want to get started? Email me directly and let’s have a conversation on where we can use your expertise and knowledge!
Stay warm or cool, depending on the day! Hoping to see many of you in the coming weeks at regional fairs, the national fair, and/or at our annual conference!
Carlos O. Cano